What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. ~ Ecclesiastes 1:9
Ecclesiastes 1:9 refers to fallen human nature, not technology. Technology advances all the time: spears become smart bombs, the abacus becomes the iPad, and the 747 replaces the stage coach. But fallen human nature never changes, and that is what the Bible is all about. History repeats itself over and over and over. Here are some examples:
Party Like It’s 1999
No matter how God tries to warn us, we just party right through it. Israel was being surrounded by her enemies, and instead of turning to God, they used it as an excuse to party. America is hit repeatedly by violent storms, and instead of repenting, we use it as an excuse to party.
The Lord… called you on that day to weep and to wail… But see, there is joy and revelry… “Let us eat and drink,” you say, “for tomorrow we die!” ~ Isaiah 22:12-13
Everybody Wants To Rule The World
God is nationalist. Man is globalist. In Genesis, Nimrod tried to build a one-world empire. God stopped it. God always stops man from conquering the entire world. Socialists (those who replace God with government) and Islamists will always try to conquer the entire world, and will always fail. Hitler’s National Socialist (Nazi) Party tried it. Lenin’s Union of Soviet Socialist Republics tried it. The Islamist Turkish Ottoman empire tried it. And the new Islamist Turkish Ottoman Empire (reviving right before our eyes on the evening news) will try it again. But all fail, because God is nationalist, not globalist.
With this in mind, the European Union (EU) is another organization trying to shatter national boundaries in favor of empire. Not only that, but in it’s charter document, the EU has omitted any acknowledgement of the European continent’s rich Christian history– an insult that will not go unanswered by God. Finally, the EU’s Parliament building is a brazen slap in God’s face.
“Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves [not for God]… so the LORD scattered them…over all the earth, & they stopped building the city…it was called Babel…
~ Genesis 11:3-9
Sign, Sign, Everywhere A Sign… Can’t You Read The Sign?
Way back in the book of Judges, the God of Israel’s main enemies identified themselves by a certain sign, the crescent. And like the title of this post says, there is nothing new under the sun.
And Gideon arose, and slew Zebah and Zalmunna, and took the crescents that were on their camels’ necks. ~ Judges 8:21
[Gideon is a foreshadowing of the conquering Messiah, Jesus, at his 2nd coming.]
Jesus Is Just Alright With Me
Atheists sue to have the Ground Zero Cross removed, but seemingly have no problem with the Flight 93 Memorial shaped like a crescent. The cross is a symbol of Christianity. The crescent is a symbol of Islam.
“This child [Jesus] is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.
~ Luke 2:34-35
If You Go Carryin’ Pictures Of Chairman Mao…
God warns us about government. He warns us that it will grow out of control. But we just don’t care. Over and over again through history, man trusts government more than God. The pattern is always the same. A Leftist politician gains political power by promising free stuff from the government, and then turns his nation into a prison. A long line of Socialists have done it: Lenin, Hitler, Mao, Castro, and many others. It works like a charm, because fallen human nature never changes.
And the LORD told him…”they have rejected me as their king…warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will do.”
Samuel told all the words of the LORD to the people who were asking him for a king. He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will do:
- He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties [military draft, conscription].
- And others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots [forced labor, see socialist/leftist nations to this day].
- He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers [forced labor, see socialist/leftist nations to this day].
- He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants [confiscation of lands, redistribution of wealth to political supporters, see socialists/leftists to this day].
- He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants [Wow, only a tenth! Those were the good old days. Think how far we’ve slidden down the slippery slope of taxation since then].
- And Your menservants and maidservants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use [confiscation, see socialists/leftists].
- He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves [confiscation, slavery, see socialist/leftist nations to this day].
- When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, and the LORD will not answer you in that day” [God does not force you to choose him. You want human government? You got it.].
But the people refused to listen to Samuel. “No!” they said. “We want a king over us” [even after all those warnings from God, the people still didn’t care].
~ 1 Samuel 8:6-19
There is nothing new under the sun.
If you liked this article, check out: Nothing New Under The Sun, Part II: FDR & Obama